Sunday, March 27, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. It probably won’t take off, but I wanted to read it and no one else had written it, so I will! Here you will find a discussion of the warmblood horse. Fashions in breeding, fashions in dressage, what buyers want, what breeders are doing, individual horses will be discussed, the appeal of the horse and its future and hopefully, just maybe, some juicy gossip!

Is there anywhere more divisive or drama ridden than the equestrian world? And dressage and warmblood types are the princesses, so buckle up!

I suppose that, considering it is the sole reason for me beginning this blog, I should begin with why I love the warmblood horse. I can very clearly remember the first time I saw a real warmblood, oh I’m sure I’d seen heavy great big horses, usually bays, and I liked the idea of them, but the true ‘modern’ warmblood, one impeccably bred with dressage in mind, I remember the first moment I laid eyes on one. She was by the Jazz stallion and out of a Donnerhall mare, her owner let her out of her paddock and oh, she floated across the ground. I’d never seen a horse move like that, look like that. She was big and black and beautiful, and those of you who have seen a Jazz bred horse move know exactly what I mean when I say she floated.

It happened so quickly and very profoundly, I fell hook, line and sinker in love with the idea of these amazing horses. As anyone who has been struck by a passion knows all too well, it becomes very consuming, very quickly. I found myself learning and researching, first about Australian stallions, then about some of the internationals. I didn’t know much, but I was so enthusiastic. There was nothing commercial about my interest, I didn’t really care about what lines were actually most suitable for dressage, and I didn’t know one thing about jumping. But soon I had it in my head that I wanted a warmblood. A palomino warmblood (you’ll have to forgive me that folly!) to be completely exact. Don’t worry, I did my research ... and my horses are all varying shades of brown, thank you very much.

When I came to pick my very own warmbloods, I picked not on the basis of movement, breeding or even conformation but temperament and trainability, to me these are the two most crucial aspects of a horse. You can have the best lines and the most amazing movement but if you can’t ride the damn thing then what is the point?
I researched and learned and watched and listened and read everything I possibly could (even with the shaky help of google’s German translator) and through this blog I want to talk about some of the things I have learned.

Expect future posts to be breedist, rather gossipy, possibly a bit slanderous and full of different opinions. Deal with it.

Au Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment